As an amateur sketch artist and photographer, I
aspire to convey emotion in my images. Because this is my artistic goal, I
identify most with the expressionist movement of visual art, which, according
to theorist Chris Baldick, seeks
to “evoke an emotional effect, and
transmit personal moods and ideas” (Concise
Oxford Dictionary of Literary Terms). I believe that passion is
integral to the very definition of art through both the artist’s liberal expression
of his or her emotions and the piece’s stimulation of the audience’s emotions.
Here, the identification of the emotion conveyed does not matter as much as
does its intensity. For example, my creation of the drawing in the center of my
mosaic was intended to express my own absurd angst and emotional confusion as I
struggled through addiction and mental illness. However, the piece might move
the viewer with feelings of fear or frustration, which they might apply to
their own past or present struggles. Even if the artist’s and audience’s
emotional interpretations of a piece are incongruent, the art may still be
successful if it conveys emotion with intensity. As we discussed in class,
artistic expression allows one to communicate with others on a deeper level
than is possible through verbal explanation alone. However trite, the cliché holds
true: a picture is worth a thousand words.
No comments:
Post a Comment